Am I the last one to the Pimento Cheese party? I literally had no idea this was a Southern thing until, like, last week. I was getting all excited to show the world this *Brand New* recipe born in Ann Arbor, Michigan- Zingerman’s Pimento Cheese with Garlic Bagel Chips.
‘Lo and behold, when I searched The Google for this subject, pimento cheese recipes abounded. “What?! I’ve been scooped,” said I! Then realized that Zingerman’s was just making a bomb.com version of the classic southern recipe. And that the southern recipe has existed for years. And they posted all about it on their website. Great.Well anyway, at least I can give you a little more information about why you should care about Zingermans and why you should make their pimento cheese recipe.
Zingermans is an amazing deli in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It’s pretty famous these days and they are expanding all over the place (in Ann Arbor only!! Quiet your excitement, people!) They make the tastiest American fare you could ever imagine. It’s definitely one of the best delis that I’ve ever been to, and I’d say rivals the heck out of any bigger city deli. I have not found a deli that I prefer or that even equals Zingermans here in San Diego. Maybe you can in New York.. I wouldn’t know.I apologize in advance about the excess of mayonnaise in this recipe. But it is a necessary evil if you are making southern food.
The dip is cheesey, salty, tangy, and has just the right amount of spice. It is perfect for spreading on homemade (or non homemade) bagel chips with garlic. It is perfect for eating solo, if you are a glutton like myself. It is also perfect for sharing for a party (or possible sporting event)… ((if you’re into that kind of thing…)) 100% of the people I’ve served this to have become addicted.
So if you’re interested in an appetizer that requires minimal effort for maximum flavor, let this be your recipe.
Zingerman’s Pimento Cheese with Garlic Bagel Chips
_For the Pimento Cheese_
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese I used Trader Joes Caved Aged Farmhouse Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise I used Best Foods, or Hellman's
- ¼ cup canned roasted red peppers diced
- ¾ teaspoon juice from red pepper can
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
_For the Garlic Bagel Chips_
- 2 sesame bagels sliced into 1/3 inch rounds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
For the Pimento Cheese
- In a mixing bowl combine cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, red peppers, red pepper juice, cayenne, black pepper, and salt. Mix thoroughly to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
To prepare the bagel chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking tray with parchment.
- In a large bowl combine bagel slices with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly with your hands or a large spoon so that the oil is distributed evenly over the bagels.
- Line the bagel chips in a single layer on the parchment. Bake for 15 minutes, turning once, until chips are lightly golden and crisp.
- You may need to do this in 2 batches to avoid crowding the tray.