Welcome to my new absolute favorite side dish: Potato Salad with Green Beans and Pesto.
Not only does this provide a lighter alternative to the heavy mayonnaise potato salads of yore, it couldn’t be simpler to throw together! How is that for a win-win of a potato salad? Basically all it takes is some tender green beans, creamy potatoes, and a generous helping of fresh basil pesto.
And I just have to throw out a little brag again – the green beans and basil for this recipe came straight from Dave’s fabulous backyard garden!
Dave’s garden has been such a wonderful boon to us this summer, especially given my food blogging habits, forgetful nature, and penchant for requiring fresh produce at a moments notice. And call me a Nervous Covid Nelly (er… Pandemic-Petrified Polly?), but I’m just not about to put my toddler in the backseat of the car and lug him off to Vons just because I forgot the basil.
But if you are less absent minded than I, and can stay organized enough to make real shopping lists, don’t worry… all the ingredients for this can be found at grocery stores around America. (Phew!)
That being said, if you are also a gardener and looking for some recommendations – the beans used in this recipe are the Saychelles Pole Bean. We tried multiple varieties last year and this was our clear favorite. They are sweet, oh so tender, not a string in sight, and prolific. I’ve even sold the toddler on these ones.
What to Serve With?
This recipe honestly is so good you could eat it as a main (I did). But I think more appropriately it would be best as a side dish for just about anything you want to serve up this summer. Look no further for some inspiration:
- Grilled Shrimp with Sundried Tomato Gremolata
- Barbecue Ribs on the Gas Grill
- Herb Crusted Lamb Chops
- Beer Brats Recipe
Have a great weekend everyone!
Potato Salad with Green Beans and Pesto
- 1/2 lb Fresh Green Geans trimmed and cut in half
- 1 lb Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes (Ok to substitute Fingerlings)
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts toasted
For the Pesto (Makes 1/2 cup of fresh pesto)
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 2 small Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Pesto
- Add Basil, pine nuts, and garlic in the food processor and blitz until chopped. Add cheese and blitz again.
- While processor is running, drizzle in olive oil slowly until emulsified. Stir in Salt and Pepper, to taste. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
For the Salad
- Bring a pot of water to boil over the stove. Add green beans and boil for about 3-5 minutes, or until just fork tender. Remove beans with a slotted spoon and immerse in an ice bath to stop the cooking and preserve color.
- Add potatoes to the bean water (or refresh if you like), and boil for about 10-15 minutes, or until just cooked through (be very careful not to overcook). Drain and rinse with cold water to help stop the cooking.
- Slice cooked potatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch coins and add to a large bowl and add the beans. Add pesto and toss gently to combine. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper as necessary. Add pine nuts just prior to serving.