August is heat wave time in California, and nothing sounds better to me than hopping in a pool with a tall glass of this Mint Lemonade Slushie (Limonana). Who wants to join me??
(Oh wait… social distancing is still a thing…)
Lemonade Slushies should be more common, I think. We do lemonade on repeat here at The Gourmet Gourmand household, but the slushie version just takes it totally over the top and makes it so so special! And it really couldn’t be easier to make.
I added mint to this recipe in the tradition of Israeli Limonana, which according to my friend Shira, is a ubiquitous addition in lemonade across Israel. Why we haven’t started doing this across America, I am not sure, because it is so good.
How to make
- Start with simple syrup – you basically heat some sugar with some water until the sugar is just dissolved. And then pop it immediately in the refrigerator (or you could do the freezer if you’re in a hurry). The idea is to make it cold enough that it won’t completely melt the ice you’re using to blend!
- Juice up some fresh lemons. And add to the blender.
- Find yourself some fresh mint leaves. Please use the leaves only – the stems won’t blend up as nicely. We used our mint leaves fresh from the garden!
- Add ice and blend.
Honestly, this recipe couldn’t be easier, and is so so refreshing. I made more than Dave and I could have in one sitting, so I just went ahead and refrigerated the rest. It’ll melt, but still be delicious. You can’t go wrong with mint lemonade, slushie or otherwise!
Refreshing summer recipes on the mind? Check out some of these other ideas:
- Watermelon, Blueberry, and Feta Salad
- BLT Salad
- Rainbow Sorbet Sandwiches
- Pasta Salad with Lemon and Dill
- Refreshing Margarita
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you click through the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me continue to provide delicious and free content on The Gourmet Gourmand.
Mint Lemonade Slushie (Limonana)
- Blender that can handle ice.
- 1 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice (From about 3 large lemons)
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves (no stems)
- 3 cups Crushed Ice
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water with granulated sugar. Heat until sugar just dissolves. Pour simple syrup into heat safe container, and refrigerate until chilled.
- In you blender, add lemon juice, mint, chilled simple syrup, and 3 cups crushed ice. Blend well until mint is very fine, and ice is slushy.
- Serve immediately.
Super refreshing on these hot and steamy days. Might try this with a bit of sparkling water too. Pinned!
Thank you so much! Sparkling water sounds like a great idea!